I am a Senior Mechanical Engineer, practical and versatile, adept of first principles, always a learner, never settling for average.
Acquired significant blue-collar experience and wide exposure in numerous industrial settings over 10 years of field work as millwright.
As a child, my early toys were my fathers tools. He is a very crafty person and a role model for many.
My earliest tinkerings were hobby electronics, such as Stereo amplifiers, FM transmitters, walkie-talkie. Made from scratch, cutting and tracing my own PCB's, carbon-copy / laquor masking and acid etching, drilling, planting and soldering the components.
As my inventory and skills expanded I started providing DJ Sevices for events. During the late 90's disco fever, I partnered with a local businessman and opened a couple of clubs, where I setup and handled the sound and lights systems.
In 1999 I joined the Technical University of Cluj Napoca and specialized in Agricultural Equipment and Processes. During this time I worked in auto shops, restoring bodywork, rebuilding engines, gearboxes and electrical.
While the internet bubble, I met a foreign entrepreneur in some early stages of setting up an internet business in our country. I assisted with hardware repairs and translations, then I became his right hand, managing office space, infrastructure setup, people recruitment, agency website and SEO, finances, payroll and identifying new business opportunities while he was out of country.
In 2005 I graduated DIPL.-ING. equivalent with M.Eng. and soon started my career with PlaurServ, a local engineering consulting company ran by one of the most admired and loved engineer in the area. Traveled to sites, performed field inspections and test and commissioned all range of lifting equipment (such as overhead, tower & mobile cranes, telehandlers, forklifts, aerial lifts, overhang bridge beams launchers, etc.) While employed, I took a 2 year postgraduate program in Road Traffic Engineering, part of Professional and Continual Education with the same university.
Arrived in Canada in 2010 as skilled worker permanent resident and landed jobs as Overhead Crane Technician with Pro Action in Montreal and Hite Services in Sudbury, ON, 2012 thanks to my related experience.
After being blessed with a second child, I decided to leave the crane industries so I can be my familly all the time.
In 2014 I had the provilege to be part of Konecranes, world-leading group of Lifting Businesses™. Started Industrial Millwright apprenticeship with Alberta Tradesecrets as no engineering opportunities.
As a crane technician, I traveled the country far and wide and fixed cranes in almost all industries out there, from mining, lumber, oil & gas, nuclear, steel mills, transportation, utilities, and many others. While working in all these plants, a curious mind will observe and explore interesting facts, processes and concepts and unavoidably records them. After a decade, one can store an amazing database that proves to be so useful in finding insiration for new technologies.
In 2020 I joined CarbonCorp, developer of a revolutionary carbon capture technology transforming CO2 into Carbon Nanotubes using elecrolysis.
I resumed my engineering career as an EIT, in designing and testing new processes and equipment from scratch, where standards are not yet written.
In 2022 I received the P.Eng. with APEGA.
Stefan Feldrihan P.Eng.
- Calgary, AB
- (403) 402-0477
- [email protected]
Mechanical Design Engineer
June 2022 - Present
- Exploring technologies not yet discovered by humankind, where there are no standards, only first principles.
- Delivering new prototypes in purification of CNT (carbon nanotubes), from design, fabrication, commissioning and testing and optimization.
September 2020 - June 2022
- Designed high amperage electrolysis anodes and cathodes for CNT (carbon nanotubes) synthesis; lifting lugs, FEA simulations.
- Planned and coordinated the design, fabrication, assembly and testing of new concepts and prototypes.
- Gathered and organized experiment data, developed SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures), generated reports for the scientific team, performed failure analysis and process optimization.
- Developed and implemented an affordable autonomous multi-point data collection system (sensors, cabling, transducers, SBC's and server PC) for 24/7 temperature logging of multiple processes.
- Performed routine work in the shop: mechanical assembly, rebuilding, welding, fabrication, electrical panels, wiring, routing, troubleshooting, etc.
- Designated as worker’s safety representative, managed to procure better and safer tools and methods for tradespeople.
CAD drafter & Design contracting
Feb ~ Nov 2019
- 3D modelling, reverse engineering, prototyping / SolidWorks.
- Optimization of structural and mechanical projects.
2006 - 2010
PlaurServ, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Calculated, designed and reverse engineered structures and accessories for overhead cranes.
- Engineered solutions and provided field supervision on fabrication.
- Produced, translated and adapted Operating and Safety Manuals for lifting equipment to be commissioned as per local regulations
2014 - 2020
- Completed inspection and preventive maintenance of overhead cranes; Identified safety issues, deficiencies and improvement opportunities; Presented solutions and cost estimates for corrective actions.
- Repaired and replaced mechanical and electrical components: brakes, motors, gearboxes, wheels, wire ropes, electric contactors, VFD’s, cables, remote systems, control stations.
- Installed upgrades on existing machinery, such as programmable inverters, safety sensors, wireless controls, industrial internet monitoring devices.
- Provided advice regarding custom equipment to suit client needs.
- Uncovered critical safety issues and prevented property damage and/or worker injury.
- Served respectable companies such as: Enmax, Teck Coal, LaFarge, Orica, Transalta, City of Calgary, Evraz, Russel Metals, Atco Structures, Siemens.
2012 - 2014
- Inspection, maintenance, retrofits and modernizations of overhead cranes and hoists.
- Non-destructive testing of various structural components of mobile cranes and forklifts.
- Extended experience in harsh environments: underground mines, limited access, remote camps, extreme cold and hot, e.g. Vale, DeBeers, GoldCorp, Kiewit, CP Rail, Domtar.
- Reverse engineered several made-in-house prototypes and obtained approval by associate P.Eng.
2010 - 2012
- Inspection, preventive and corrective maintenance of overhead cranes.
- Rebuilt and overhaul of hoists, gearboxes, motors and other machinery.